Plastic Play Kitchen Remodel

Our awesome friends gave us their old plastic play kitchen that their kids had outgrown. Soph was having a blast playing with it as is, but I wanted to make it a little nicer and try to restore it to its former glory. Not that it mattered, look how trashy the rest of our house was :( :(


First we took it all apart- just using a screwdriver- nothing fancy. 

Then I painted all the pieces using this spray paint. No sanding or primer or anything. 




I tried to scrape off most of the dirt and old stickers, but some of the stickers were really stuck so I just painted over them, knowing that I wanted to do chalkboard paint and that would cover it.




 It was a huge mess for WEEKS while we waited for it to get nice and dry in our humid Kalae climate :( If you don't live on a mountain in Hawaii it should dry in a couple of hours. 

I wasn't sure what to do with the top. it took me forever to decide, I put it half way back together and just stared at it for a few days. Haha. Finally I decided to just paint the sink/stove grey and the counter white...

Painting the top was a little harder. I just used newspaper and tape to mask off what I didn't want to be another color. 


 Lastly, I painted all the black surfaces with 3 coats of chalkboard paint. This Brand

 And now it looks awesome! Much brighter!





Update: Here we are a year and a half later and it's still looking great! (Even though the kids broke part of the drawer off :) )