DIY Halloween Treat Bag Tutorial

It's almost Halloween! I spent last weekend being a good mom and sewing Halloween costumes and these adorable treat bags!
DIY Halloween Treat Bags

They were super easy and a fun project to make. I saw very similar ones in the Pottery Barn kids catalog that were only $16 (I think). But I thought it would be more meaningful if I made them.

First you need a bunch of felt. 4 sheets for each bag, plus extra for appliques.
Reserve one full sheet of felt for the front and one for the back.

Cut one sheet in half long ways...

so you get this. These will be the sides.

Then use one of those to measure off a horizontal piece from the last sheet of felt. (for the bottom). 

Cut out some adorable appliques of your choosing. 
I used hot glue to stick them on, then stitched around the edges with some embroidery floss to make it pretty and extra secure.

And I went all out and embroidered their names on them too. That way there's no question of whose candy is whose when they get older. That, and it just makes them adorable.
Before you sew anything together, use the felt pieces to cut a pattern from fabric for the lining. I just folded my fabric in half so I could cut two pieces at once. Just trace everything and add 1/4 inch for seam allowances. Looking at this from left to right you have an extra piece which is perfect for making a handle, the top row is a square scrap then the sides, and the bottom row is the bottom and the front/back of the liner.

Next sew the pieces to the bottom. 

I used a zig zag stitch.

And I used the sewing machine. 

For the felt, make sure you sew the zigzag on the outside, so sew it together with WRONG SIDES TOGETHER!
It will look like this when you're done. 

Take a break and hang out with your cute skeleton kids who will want their bags NOW, even though you're not finished yet. 

Sew all the lining pieces together in the same way, but RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER!

Make a handle out of whatever scraps you have left. I forgot to take a picture of this because I was really upset that I didn't have enough black felt and Michael's handle had to be made out of orange. Then I wasted a lot of time lamenting the fact that I couldn't just go to the store and buy more. Ha. 

Then pin the lining inside and sew over it with the zigzag stitch again. Viola!

Hope everyone has fun Trick-or-Treating!