4th Of July Menu

I LOVE holidays! I love making food, especially fancy or themed food, I love decorating, and most importantly, I love not having to go to work!!!!

This year for the Fourth I was honestly pretty exhausted, so I didn't do that much, what with being 7 months pregnant and all. 

Also, Hawaii (while you cannot deny that the islands have benefitted from it) may or may not have had much choice/ been too happy about becoming the 50th state. 

Sooooo, it's not a huge holiday here, especially on Molokai where Native Sovereignty Movement (probably rightfully so- but that's a whole discussion for another day) is very alive and well. 

Anyway. I didn't decorate at all. But I did spend the weekend cooking up some good grub. 

Here's what we made with linked recipes:

Friday:
Grilled Pizza

Saturday:
Homemade Ice Cream
Olive Garden Salad

Sunday:
Grits with Maple Roasted Bacon- Recipe Below
Red White and Blue Rice Krispies- Recipe below

Grits with Maple Roasted Bacon
1 pkg bacon
2 TBS Maple Syrup

1.5 cups water
1.5 cups milk
1 cup grits
2 TBS butter
2-3 TBS sugar

FOR BACON
Preheat oven to 350 for bacon. 
Separate bacon on cookie sheet
Bake for 15-30 minutes until slightly brown. 
Drain some fat, flip and drizze on maple syrup. 
Bake an additional 5 minutes until your reach your desired level of crispyness.

FOR GRITS
Boil water, turn heat to med. Add rest of ingredients. Stir until thick. 
Top with bacon. It's pretty easy. 



Rice Krispies
3 bags marshmallows
3 TBS butter
1 box rice krispie cereal
1 tsp vanilla
Red White and blue sprinkles

Melt marshmallows with butter in a huge pot over low heat on stove. 
When melted stir in vanilla (and 3/4 cup peanut butter if desired) and cereal
Shape onto a half sheet pan rubbed with butter
Top with patriotic sprinkles. 

Easy. 

Because I hate using the recipe on the box. 9 cups of cereal.....WHY?!?!?!?! What am I supposed to do with the other 2 cups? Eat 1.5 mornings of plain Rice Krispies??? So dumb!