Zia's Pasta Carbonara

We happened to have all the right ingredients for Pasta Carbonara in the house, which NEVER happens. So I had to capitalize on the situation.

The original recipe is from Zia's. I made it a few years back, but when I went to their website they had new recipes up, which is great, because now I want to try them all!!!

I found a copy of the recipe here:
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/recipes/recipe-details/?rid=851&sorig=qs

But because I cook for a whole family, I basically doubled it, like so:

  • 1 box pasta
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 teaspoon garlic paste
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 pkg crumbled cooked bacon
  • 2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 medium egg, beaten
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a bowl. Add linguine; cook al dente according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, mushrooms and crumbled bacon. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add cream; bring to a full boil. Add linguine; return mixture to a full boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add egg, stirring quickly to prevent egg from scrambling.
  3. Place in hot pasta bowls; top with Parmesan.