DIY Caramel Apples

Right before Halloween we made homemade caramel apples for the first time ever. It was actually much easier than I thought. Being from Missouri, I LOVE Happy Apples. They’re actually made about an hour from where I grew up. BUT, living in Hawaii, we hardly ever get them in our grocery store. I didn’t see any this year. But I also haven’t been to Misaki’s much lately, so I may have just missed them.


Anyway, they were super simple to make. If I had known it was this easy I would have started making them a long time ago.

All you do is prepare your “decorations” we had Halloween sprinkles and peanuts.


Chop up the nuts really fine or they won’t stick.



Wash and dry your apples, we made 9 small apples from 1 bag of caramel. Its important that they’re super dry, so you could do this the day before if you’re someone who plans ahead…I’m not…



They sell these awesome unwrapped bags of caramels now. Buy one. Follow the instructions to melt it. Use a small but tall pot for easier dipping. Ours took FOREVER to melt…


The keiki messed with everything and ate most of the peanuts while we waited.





Then you just poke a small skewer into each apple, dip and swirl. I used a spoon to help coat them. Then we put them on a silicone mat to decorate and dry.
Also, we made small piles of peanuts and sprinkles as a “nest” to set each one on so that he top would be decorated too.





That’s it! Super easy! Michael and Sophia loved it! The hardest part was waiting for them to dry.


*disclaimer, they were kind of hot after we dipped them, so we had to be careful not to stick our fingers on them when decorating, they could almost burn you if you touch them too fast, but in our case it took a long time for the caramel to harden, so we just let each one cool slightly before sticking all the décor to it.