DIY Play Dough Recipe

We adapted this from a recipe we found online. There's a super secret trick to it!!!

You know how homemade play dough is always kind of gritty- because it's a salt dough, duh. Well, when my mom was here she made some homemade play dough for Sophia and it was really nice! Super soft, not gritty, didn't stain anything, and was slow to dry out. About a month after she initially made it (and after a month of it being left out on the table for several hours of playing each day) we were ready to make a new batch. I called my mom, but she couldn't remember the exact recipe, so I found a similar one and adapted it. The secret is BLENDING THE SALT!!! I realized this when I asked my mom how she made it while I was at work because I knew I had run out of salt. She said that she just used the bag of Hawaiian sea salt granules that I use for the grinder (and occasionally for roasting pork Hawaiian style) and blended it so it wasn't chunky aymore. The next time I used regular salt, but still put it in the blender to get that nice "store bought playdough" consistancy. Haha. 

Here's the recipe:
1/4 C salt
1 1/4 C Flour
1 pkg Kool-Aid
1 1/2 TBS Oil (veggie or coconut)
1C + 2T Water

1. BLEND THE SALT until very finely ground- like use a blender or in my case, Magic Bullet
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Microwave the water for 3 minutes
4. Slowly pour the water into the dry mix while stirring to incorperate
5. Knead until smooth

Dry ingredients for Homemade DIY Kool-Aid Play Dough
There you go! Endless hours of entertainment for mere pennies!

The finished product Homemade DIY Kool-Aid Play Dough