Lets talk R

Hello there!

Is everyone ready for my MOST EXCITING BLOG POST EVER!?!?!? Nah nah nah, this is probably going to go down in history as the WORST blog post ever written. So, I would say I casually mention my job quite often in the blog space. Granted, mostly to complain about said employment. But what do I actually do all day? I'll tell you what I don't do: run breeding models for a living---at least not yet. The company has real statisticians that do that---FOR NOW Bwahahahaha!

Lets begin this story at the beginning- after all, I did promise you the worst blog post ever.

Flash back to late 2012. I was flooded with post-partum hormones from Sophia, I was 2 years into being a FRB (#killinit) and somehow one of the most obnoxious people I have ever met (one of) became my co-worker. Well...she had a PhD and treated anyone who didn't like a piece of crap. So...I thought and I thought about what I, in my own little controllable realm, could do about it.

I took a stab at being nice to her, maybe to help her, maybe to try killing her with kindness- it wasn't for me.

I took a stab at being a conceited beotch back to her- obviously that one didn't work, though it may have gained me a little respect.

I tried ignoring her- ok, we all know that's a lie. Ignoring her was impossible.

Then my most brilliant idea of all- I would start my masters. Start a million year journey that would end in me never having to work FOR someone like her, keep in mind I worked alongside her but if there was ever a promotion that opened up, I'd be dammed if she got it over me.

There's an old saying that goes something like "if you're going to start something, make sure you're starting it for the wrong reason"...wait, maybe it's "always hold a grudge"... or is it "revenge is a dish best served by a person with a master's degree" Hahaha.

Like I said. WORST. BLOGPOST. EVER.

Anyway...here we are almost 5 years later, Almost done with this damn master's. Ha. Fittingly so, my last class is one in statistics. Now, I could go on and on about my hatred for statistics and my life goal to prove it wrong "BE the outlier!" But, we'll save that for the second worst blog post ever.

Back to statistics. I tend to hate what I don't know. I'm human. Sue me. (LOL remember when people actually used that catch phrase- glad that era is over!)

Now that I understand stats. I still hate it but also love it. I kind of what to be a statistician. I kind of definitely want to. Hmmmm...

Anyway, I thought I'd write this down because like all good things, It will totally remove itself from my brain 4-6 months after this class ends. My grey matter is FULL.

R is a statistics software developed by mega nerds. You can download R fo' free. And R Studio which is a more user-friendly interface.

Once you have it down loaded; Here's how to do some stuff:

Load a data set:
what you want your data set to be called<-read.csv("C:/where/whatever your document is but with fwd slashes/wtf/why.csv")

Run a summary:
Summary (what you want your data set to be called- lets say ds)

Run an ANOVA that will show you GxE interactions
> anova(ds(ds$yld~ds$env+ds$line+ds$env*ds$line))
fill in all the red crap with your actual ds name and column headers that correspond to genotype and environment.