Yard work Day

When we first saw our house I was sooo excited about the landscaping. It had huge hedges for privacy, tons of plants and greenery everywhere. 

A few months later when we finally closed and got moved in I started to realize that the “landscaping” was kind of an overgrown mess of 1970’s plants. A lot of green, orange and brown. All dark depressing colors. And while the hedges are nice for blocking out some of the less than beautiful houses nearby...they were huge and depressing and making me feel like I was trapped in a giant green time warp from 1970. 

Also, I’ve been spending a lot of my free time looking at picture of English cottages and gardens. Basically day I dream about pretty pastel roses and mossy pathways. SO, I decided it was finally time to make a few major changes. The easiest place to start was this front hedge. 

Here’s the “before” it’s like 20+ feet tall and uneven and terrible. The back part is panax, part of which blew down in our last heavy storm, thenpink stuff is hybiscus, which is nice, it’s just DARK green and DARK pink. So we’re leaving it, but trimming it back to a maintainable size. The right side is jasmine, which I also love, but it’s just a little of out of control.


I hope to be able to post the “after” pics by Friday. 

Meanwhile while Daniel and I were working on the hedges, and Michael and Sophia were bugging Auntie Lisa...Ethan decided to unpack my box of Target groceries all by himself...