Hurricane Lane part two

The storm finally passed us last Friday night, and of course, our power went out again. Early this time, around 7:30pm. Luckily, everyone had eaten a little and everyone except me and Olivia had taken a shower.

As the storm passed the rain and wind kind of came in waves. I think the most interesting thing was that because we had all the windows boarded up, it was the most like living on the mainland that I’ve felt in a long time. I know for Molokai residents we spend A LOT of time inside. We don’t. I mean, we all get outside for at least 1 hour after work, and often much more, but for Molokai, that’s not much. We also have a somewhat haole house. Actually I’d say our house is dead center between local and haole. It’s got a lot is island qualities- like the lanai, the carport, the single wall construction, the shower only, the mix mash of an area that we call our kitchen. But it’s also very haole: it has sliding widows, nice flooring, matching crap everywhere. ANYWAY- the point of this rambling is that although we may spend more time indoors than many residents do; our outside is really brought in. I haven’t closed our windows in YEARS. Literally! At least one is always open. Even in this hurricane some are open. Yet with everything boarded up, all the sights and sounds of the outdoors become separate from the indoors...and it’s strange. Or maybe it’s more strange that something that was once so common place for me is now so strange!

AND during the middle of the night while it was storming, my Uber got hacked!!! WTF. Obviously I disputed it and deleted my account, but now I’m considering going all Ron Swanson and going off grid.

I also took the opportunity to read a whole book during this hurricane. Point for going off grid.

But, being cooped up inside in the semi dark was kind of terrible- so negative point for moving to Alaska.

Everything has been going so back and forth in my head lately: stay-go, work-quit, watch tv-read, more kids-no more kids, finish masters-live life, Chicken-fish, haha!!! I think something fundamentally changed in my head as we went through Ethan’s whole ordeal... I lost my confidence. I can’t make a decision to save my life. 

Lol. annnnnnnnd, that has nothing to do with the hurricane, other than the moral of both stories is that we lived. And now there’s nothing left to do but take the lessons you learned and keep moving forward.

Cheers to a happier less rambling post next time!