Jill's Rambling Rememberances

Once a long time ago I worked at a job and I got a pretty substantial bonus one year. On a Friday we all got letters explaining what taxes, etc were taken out of our bonuses that year. I wasn't too concerned with the amount and it was just a tax statement. I left it folded in half and set it on an innocuous  stack of papers on my desk, went home for the weekend and thought nothing of it.

The next week was busy, but I had the distinct feeling one of the girls was mad at me. Actually, I had the feeling she and one of the other ladies who were always nice enough to my face just didn't really like me and were jealous of me. However, I always tend to assume the best in other people and the worst of myself, so I thought I was being paranoid.

That Friday, our boss called me into his office and I was in trouble for sharing personal information that had caused other employees to be very upset. I assured him I had no idea what he was talking about and definitely hadn't told anyone anything about my salary.

Turns out one of the girls who was kind of my friend even (or so I thought) had gone through the papers off the top of my desk, unfolded the one with my bonus taxes, and using some pretty accurate guess-timation, had back calculated a pretty good idea of exactly how much money I had made that year...WHO DOES THAT!?!?!

And even more so, who does that then goes and complains to the boss that I made more money than them??? Hello, they're going to ask how you know that!

Anyway, the point of this story, is that the other day someone told me that I always assume the best of people...and I do...but its burned me before, more times than this.

Yet, I still believe in the importance of maintaining a positive (yet realistic) attitude, because if you don't have a good attitude, what do you have?

NOW- I know this was a very poorly written story, but I want to get back to writing more in order to improve my writing especially for MY THESIS!!! Which I'm going to work on now- Bye!