Mango Salsa

Today I was canning guava jelly, I had a counter full of mangos and some garden tomatoes, peppers and onions. I tried this UGA recipe, but I don’t LOVE it. It would be really good on fish or something as a chutney, but it’s too gingery for chips.

Here’s the original:

And here’s what I will do next time...
  • 6 cups combination of diced unripe mango and tomato
  • 1½ cups diced bell pepper
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3 teaspoons  finely chopped garlic
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1¼ cups cider vinegar (5%)- or white vinegar.
  • 1/2 cup water (omit if your tomatoes and mangos were juicy.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
Summer 5 min more
Hot pack into sterile jars
Leave 1/2 inch head space
Process in a hot water bath for 15 min.

Makes 6 pints.